Safety at our English School in London
Safeguarding of U18s - Advice & Policies
Studying English at our school is a wonderful opportunity to enjoy all that London has to offer. We want to do everything possible to help you or your child have a safe, productive stay in London studying English. So, we take your safety & security seriously.
- Training: All staff are at least Safeguarding Level 1 trained & enhanced DBS-checked. Management are trained to a minimum of level 2 and Safeguarding Lead & Deputy Lead are Level 3 qualified.
- Staff security: All staff are enhanced DBS-checked.
- London Cultural Programmes: Meetings are carried out with group leaders on arrival to add important local knowledge to cultural programmes. Specific risk assessments to each destination are provided to group leaders and any risks particular to current events such as transport delays, demonstrations, football matches for example, are discussed.
- Shared Responsibility: All staff recognise their responsibility for the safeguarding of U18s and will alert senior management immediately of any concerns.
- School Absences: Any U18 year old who is more than 15 minutes' late will trigger an investigation.
- School Social Programme: U18 year-olds are not permitted to attend social programme events in which alcohol is present.
- School Visibility: All U18 year-old students are required to wear a luminous wristband and carry a completed 'Stay Safe at ICE' card.
For their safety, there are a few special things that U18's are expected to do at ICE:
- Wear a luminous Under-18 wristband.
- Sign in every day at reception so we know the teenager is at school. If we don't see a signature, we will call his/her registered adult.
- Fill in and carry a Group Safety card at all times. Students are encouraged to ask their teacher for help if they have any questions about this.
- If the student can't come in one day, he/she must let us know on 0207 278 5553 or send an email to email@example.com
- We want to know how the student is getting to and from school. Does he/she get picked-up? If so, by whom? We also want to help with directions & public transport information.
- It is illegal in the UK for under-18s to drink alcohol.
- Don’t talk to strangers.
Juniors - 12 to 16 year-olds
We welcome junior students in closed groups taught by enhanced-DBS checked English tutors. All junior groups are accompanied by a group leader.
16 to 18 Year-olds in Mixed Nationality, Adult English classes
Minimum age for adult, mixed nationality classes at ICE is 16. So, whilst the vast majority of our students in these classes are over 18, there can be a small number of students aged 16 or 17. All students are aware of this minimum age.