English Tuition & Volunteering in London
1. To provide English language tuition with additional speaking practice in an English charity work environment
2. To provide students with volunteering experience
3. To contribute to the excellent work carried out by London charities for children in need, the old and the most disadvantaged in our society
Study a General English course, Cambridge Exam Preparation course or IELTS courses at our school in London in the morning and volunteer in a reputable charity in Islington such as Oxfam or a London farm in the afternoon. This is a great opportunity for students wishing to continue practising their English language skills after lessons and participate in valuable charity work at the same time.
Current Volunteering Options
- Oxfam Books (minimum language level Upper Intermediate CEFR B2, minimum stay 12 weeks)
- Oxfam Charity Shop General (minimum stay 4 weeks, no minimum English language level)
- Helping at a London Farm (no minimum stay, minimum language level Pre-Intermediate CEFR B1)
Example prices 2015 English Course Mornings + Volunteering Afternoons
4 weeks: £541 plus £50 registration fee
8 weeks: £871 plus £50 registration fee
12 weeks: £1150 plus £50 registration fee
Please contact us for more information on the prices and different course options.
|9.15 - 12.15
|13.00 - 15.30
What kind of activities will I take part in when I volunteer?
Volunteering is a wonderful opportunity to practice your English skills in a real-life working situation after your more formal English course.
Stepney City Farm is a registered charity located in London’s East End. It’s a working farm, Rural Arts Centre and community meeting place giving children and adults a chance to meet farm animals, learn how to grow food and try out arts and crafts.
English students will have the chance to volunteer on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. The kinds of tasks volunteers participate in include:
- Health-checking the small animals
- Mucking out the larger animals
- Sweeping, harvesting fruit and growing seeds
- Whatever other tasks might need doing on the day!
Oxfam is an international charitable organisations working in 94 countries to find solutions to poverty around the world. They have charity shops all over the UK and two of these are situated within a couple of minutes walk of Islington Centre for English. Students will be able to volunteer in the afternoons after their English course.
Depending on the students preferences and the needs of the shop at the time of the placement volunteers will do things like:
-Working on the till
Volunteers in their clothes shops need to have a Pre-Intermediate level of English (CEFR A2/B1).
At the Oxfam book and music shop volunteers may participate in the following activities:
-Working on the till
-Helping to keep the shop floor tidy
-Using the internet to research the value of unusual or rare items.
Volunteers in the book shop will need to have an Upper Intermediate level of English (CEFR B2).