Journalism Work Experience London
This course is suitable for PON C5 funding
This Course is aimed at: Groups of students - minimum 5
Minimum age: 16 years
Location: Islington Centre for English, central London
Course length: 1,2,3 or 4 weeks
Hours per week: tailored
Join our Journalism Work Experience Course and mix real, hands-on journalistic experience with 'English for Journalists' Language course at the Islington Centre for English in association with British Learning Academy.
Component 1: The Language of Journalism
Students study specific vocabulary, grammar and other stylistic elements with an experienced, native speaking tutor in the following areas:
- The Headline
- Collocations: What words go well together? Tom bitterly regretted stealing the money. Julie shed few tears over the incident
- Adjectives and adverbs: vocabulary building
- Efficiency: Write less and say more
- Inversions: Not only did..., but also...
- Participle clauses: Given the current grave situation, many believe...
- Journalistic Styles: A comparison of broadsheets and tabloids, printed and electronic
- The language of blogging - internet journalism
- TV & Video News presentation
- Focus on the language of politics
- Focus on the language of sports
- Focus on the language of disaster
Component 2: Theory
Among other topics, students will learn how to critically examine pieces, what makes an effective article, headline writing, compare online & print journalism and tabloid/broadsheet styles. They will also receive practical advice on how to get a piece published, ehat editors want and how to take advantage of the social media revolution.
Component 3: In the Field
Students will gather news, record and edit video, write and publish a blog, carry out interviews and much more.
For more information, contact Tim on firstname.lastname@example.org